Friday, December 28, 2007

Re: Start & End Dates

Matson

Give me a call. I have been on different forums about the PCT. The one
thing
that most of the backpackers do is to have their backpack packed and
ready
30 days before the trip. Do not wait until the last moment to accomplish
this. This way you have 30 days to get items that were forgotten or
items
that you do not need. I took a day seminar back in late 80's and that
was
one thing the instructor pushed was to be ready and packed weeks before
a
long trip.

We also need to figure how we are going to get to Lone Pine and the
trailhead. It will take us a good part of the day to get to the
trailhead
from Sacramento. There is a campground at the trailhead that we could
spend
the night and head off early next morning. The PCT is about 10 miles
from
the trailhead. We start on the trail that Mt Whitney hikers use to get
to
the base of the mountain. Looks like about 13,000 feet.

I have found that most of the hikers use good running shoes instead of
hiking boots. If snow conditions are present then they use the hiking
boots.
I must think about this. I do not think the running shoes would give me
enough support.

Talk to you later

Dad

No comments: