Friday, December 28, 2007

Mt. Whitney

Matson

Go to this link:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/traillarge.shtml


This is a picture of the trail going up to the trail crest. #1 is the
packing area where we will start our adventure. It is going to be a nice
climb up. There are several places on the way up that we can stop for
the
night. It would be nice if we could make it all the way up in one day.

What I was wondering is if you would like to hike over to Mt Whitney and
see
the top. I guess we would need to take our backpacks with us as I do not
see
a place to store them. Let me know, as I need to put in for 2 permits
for
the climb.

I have sent away to the PCTA for our thru permit. I was able to
establish
our thru permit ending point at 544 mile from our beginning.

I have started the training program that I told you about. I started the
excerise program today and will start the diet next Monday. Looking
forward
to a change in body energy. I will let you know how I it's going.

I believe you told me you already had your backpack. What is the brand
name
and model? You need to find out the cubic inch capacity and the total
amount
of weight your pack will carry. When you purchased your pack did you get
it
fitted for your body? The pack I am purchasing will carry about 5500 cu
in.
and carry up to 65 lbs.

I have been working on weight. I estimate that just the equipment
backpack,
tent, mattress, cooking stove, camera and gear, and sleeping bag is
going to
be about 35 lbs. That does not include cloths, spare shoes, food, etc. I
think I will be carrying 50-60 lbs.

I am still working on it. Will keep you posted.

Dad

No comments: