Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Mike Sweeney (Sweonardo da Vinci) and "Your Book of Poems"

This is not so much about the book, though I am going to get a copy and see if it helps me in my great quest to write for a living, I was much more intrigued by his "20 Year Hike" if anyone has more information about Mike Sweeney and his hiking prowess, please feel free to share...

Reposted here from the Amador County Ledger Dispatch - original posting HERE.

Sutter Creek resident Mike Sweeney just released his first book, "Your Book of Poems."

Many of the poems in the book were written during Sweeney's 20-year hike of the 2,650-mile Mexico to Canada, Pacific Crest Trail, which he completed in August.

"At first I just wanted to write a book of poetry on my hikes as I didn't seem to be getting around to writing the 'great American novel.' Eventually, however, I realized that maybe I could write a guide to overcoming writer's block, etc., by setting goals to help inspire some of my fellow baby boomers to get back to doing things rather than just being spectators."

"Your Book of Poems" is a guide to using goals, action plans and imagination to create a book in one year or less. It contains everything a person needs (including templates) to not only write a book, but to use the experience as a bridge to accomplishing additional goals in music, art, sports or whatever a person aspires to accomplish.

"People have so many talents that get lost in the world of adult responsibilities," Sweeney said. "In America, we are defined by our regular job. I happen to have the best job in the world , but as I get older, I realize that if I am going to accomplish things outside of it, I'd best get going. We have to make time for other challenges and get off the couch to accomplish them."

Sweeney has been the executive director of The Arc of Amador and Calaveras for the past 19 years.

"Your Book of Poems" is published by Infinity Publishing under Sweeney's pen name, Sweonardo da Vinci. It can be purchased locally at Bubble Gum Book Store and On Purpose in Sutter Creek and at Hein & Co. in Jackson. It is also available on the Web at www.buybooksontheweb.com or www.sweonardo.com.

Sweeney's first book signing is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 8 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Hein & Co.

For more information, call 267-5864 or e-mail msweeney@volcano.net.

No comments: