Sunday, May 04, 2008

The Ongoing Adventure of the Boot...

Dad,

It was a great idea for us to hike Twin Bridges. It was a wonderful opportunity to test my new Asolo boots. And boy am I glad I did!

As my last entry about the boots indicated, I absolutely loved the fit and the feel of the Asolo.

But, as we discovered, the soles were dissappointing, mainly while hiking from snow to granite.... and the resultant lack of grip.

There are many things I am willing to forgive on a boot, but loosing grip on a 30 degree angle is not one of them.

Anyway, I returned the boot yesterday to REI during their busiest weekend of the year and purchased a pair of Vasque Breeze GTX XCR. They are rated as hiking and not backpacking but the experts at REI thought that they should be fine for the 55 lbs we will be carrying. I like the mesh breathability and the Vibram soles which are noted for their no slip qualities.

Interesting enough, the Asolos I bought were size 13, these new boots are size 14 (the 13's allowed my toes to hit front).

I will be trying these over the next few weeks and see how they hold up.

Love,
Your Son

No comments: