Sunday, December 21, 2008

Re: Walking the Roadless Trails of the Sierra

Dad,
I am considering bringing the iPod, if for no other reason than to have some music when needed. Either that or I will teach myself the harmonica. ;-)
I will be taking Yerba Mate, probably Mendo Mate brand. It is an excellent source of non-caffeine energy and is great source of essential vitamins and minerals while on the trail. According to studies, each infusion of mate contains:
• Vitamins: A, C, E, B1, B2, Niacin (B3), B5, B Complex
• Minerals: Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc
• Additional Compounds: Carotene, Fatty Acids, Chlorophyll, Flavonols, Polyphenols, Inositol, Trace Minerals, Antioxidants, Tannins, Pantothenic Acid and 15 Amino Acids.
Of course it is not for everyone. Mate has a bitter taste that can be countered with sweeteners such as honey, but I tend to prefer it strait. It comes in loose leaf and bagged forms. I will be bringing the loose leaf version. All you do is pack it into a gourd, add hot water, and use a special straw called a bombilla. It can be easily packed in the backpack.
I will, of course, want to indulge in coffee at times and cocoa on occasion, though in July, that may not be as "relaxing" as it is for me in the cooler seasons.
Herb teas can be good as well, I would recommend bringing Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer, it is a good source of B-vitamins, and they have several fruit teas as well, including Lemon Zinger which is very good for helping the digestion process.
As for quantities, if I do not have coffee with you in the morning, will you reuse your bags? I expect that I will split my coffee intake with my mate mornings and the cocoa will be maybe a few days a week. Trader Joes has a natural cocoa that is tasty, but not quite Nestle. And I do have a large container of Nestle powder in my cupboard, from my days of sugar indulgence.
Looking forward to seeing your food supply list.
Talk soon,
Matson

No comments: